The establishment of the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) was
by the African Union.
The primary goal of this
specialized institution is to support Member States build their capacity to bet
ter detect and
respond to diseases outbreaks and emergencies and as such mitigate the effect on the
human, economic and political integration agenda of the continent.
AHB was contracted by Africa CDC to assist with partnership engagement to create dialogue and collaboration that would meet Africa CDC’s objectives. AHB approached this in three phases:
: Registration of
the Africa Public Health Foundation (APHF)
Register a foundation whose aim is to create mechanisms for public-private-philanthropic partnership to harness African assets from multi-sectoral sources to support Africa CDC in strengthening Africa’s Health and Economic Security.
AHB established the Africa Public Health Foundation (APHF) which facilitates interactions with the private and philanthropic sectors to support Africa CDC’s mission tosafeguard the continent . The Foundation objective is to encourage philanthropic and private sector engagement with Africa CDC.
Implementation of APHF
AHB steered the foundation to achieve the second phase of implementation. The phase focused on:
1. Setting up the Foundation head office and staff to run the foundation.
2. The recruitment of a CEO, a full council and APHF champions.
3. The organization of the first internal councilor meeting in Kampala and a second virtual councilors’ meeting in accordance with the requirements set out in the Charter.
4. The creation of articles that are US based charity compliant and suitable for Africa CDC.
5. The organization of three networking platforms with HNWI and Foundations in Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya.
Proposed Phase 3: APHF Charter
AHB is looking to support APHF to harness African assets from multi-sectoral sources to support Africa CDC in strengthening Africa’s Health and Economic Security.
AHB was able to realize and implement the objectives of Africa CDC to create a platform that would create dialogue an d collaboration with other partners to ensure that Africa CDC supports member states public health initiatives to a safer, healthier, integrated and prosperous Africa